On this episode of the podcast, I speak with Khiry Kemp, founder, and CTO of Oppti, a SaaS platform that gives high school students access to opportunities like internships and volunteering. He got the startup bug after a brief stint in consulting. He’s also a Guinness Book of World Records holder along with his co-founder Weston. That world record led them to actually form Oppti.
Khiry and I met through Founders Network, which is a peer-mentoring community for startup founders. We talk about the importance of a co-founder that compliments you and why it’s important to set a daily intention to make things happen. He’s also a HUGE oatmeal guy for a surprising reason for someone his age.
We talk about how easy it is for him to do the same thing day in and day out and why that’s a powerful habit to have, most of the time. He tries to do the same thing every day to reduce his cognitive load so he can make important decisions. He also uses his daily workouts to do a mental cleanup so that he can reprioritize what he has to do as well as getting bursts of ideas for problems he needs to solve. I had a great time chatting with him and it was great to hear what it was like to break a world record.
Now. Let’s get better together
Actions to Try or Advice to Take
- Assess your resources daily: What do you have the capacity to do and what should you put on hold for later.
- Find a co-founder that complements you
- Reduce the number of simple decisions you make a day so you can simplify your cognitive load.
- Khiry uses working out to get in his head to think about problems and solutions.
- Have your own time so you can clear your mind and do some mental cleanup.
- Have a physical routine: Moving your body will get you out of your head and reduce stress and strain.
- Get Out in the World: It’s hard for people to ignore you when you’re on their doorstep. It’s also great for focus.