Support the Show. Get the NEW AudioBook!
Hey everyone. Stay tuned to the end of the interview where I’ll give you some actionable insights that I learned from my guest. These insights are also in the show notes. As always, thanks for listening.
Now on to my guest today, Author Bruno Cignacco.
I asked Bruno on my show because I was intrigued by his book, The Art of Compassionate Business: Main Principles for the Human-Oriented Enterprise. After years as an accountant, Bruno moved to business consulting, helping companies navigate strategies and processes and also teaching courses. His book came about, after he read an article that prompted him to think about the importance of people and relationships in business. He argues that businesses should not be just concerned with profits; that they should also be concerned with people and the planet, and that by focusing on the latter two, businesses will grow and be sustainable as a result.
According to Bruno, research demonstrates that in companies where stakeholders are valued and relationships are given priority, rather than the bottom line, businesses do better. Employees, customers, partners, and community members will go the distance to support and reciprocate when they see a company respecting and valuing them. Similarly, a company that cares only about profit at the expense of people and the community, will ultimately suffer, and it will impact their profit margins. Empathy, compassion, gratitude, generosity, and, above all, love, all have a part to play when building a business.
Now let’s get better together.
- Business is about relationships, not simply economic exchange. Focus on providing value and being of service, not how you can make the next sale.
- Be empathetic and compassionate. Empathy is putting yourself in someone else’s shoes; compassion is when you take action based on a desire to help.
- To help implement these principles, Bruno says it’s important to cultivate awareness. Don’t be so busy that you’re not paying attention to the people around you. Stop and put your attention on others instead of just focusing on yourself and the bottom line.
Links to Explore Further
- Website - Bruno Roque Cignacco
- Bruno Roque Cignacco on LinkedIn
- The Art of Compassionate Business
- Bruno on Matchmaker.fm