On this episode of the podcast, I speak with Anupam Kundu, co-founder of RealValue.ai, which is building a visual intelligence platform to measure and optimize human experiences. He started his career as a trained engineer and soon realized that he was not that great at programming but loved thinking up new ideas, working with people, and solving problems. The rat race of Silicon Valley was not making Anupam or his family happy. That awareness has led him to recently move to France with his family. He introduces himself as an Indian by birth, American citizen that lives in France now.
After taking an AI course at MIT, he realized that he wanted to build his own company so he quit his job to pursue that dream even though he did not have a product in mind. That led him to start offering consulting services to figure out the problems that customers were running into and how AI could solve them.
He soon realized that the rat race of silicon valley was not making him or his family happy. That realization led him to move to France where his lives now and runs his company with his co-founder and wife. We talk about the challenges of running a company with your spouse as well as living in a foreign country all while trying to build a company.
Now let’s get better together
Actions to Try or Advice to Take
- You have to figure out what’s important in your life and adjust your life around what’s important to you.
- If you want to start a company, go find a group of customers that has a problem and solve it. Sounds obvious but not a lot of entrepreneurs do that.
- If you work with your spouse, you have to have boundaries to keep your personal and professional lives as compartmentalized as possible. It’s actually super hard to do but it does make life a lot smoother.
- The best co-founders complement each other’s skills and the same goes if your spouse is also your co-founder.
- All startups have to figure out where to spend their money and it can be a difficult conversation if you’re not aligned on shared goals.
- You might go faster alone but having more people around will allow you to go longer.
- Don’t do anything your spouse is against. They are one of the few people who have your best interest at heart.